Monday, July 07, 2014

Deitrick Haddon Says He Was Surprised By T. D. Jakes’ Criticism Of “Preachers of L. A.” But Respects His Opinion

Deitrick Haddon made it clear that he doesn’t want to pick a fight with T.D. Jakes, but the two may have to agree to disagree when it comes to “Preachers of L.A.”

“I was a bit taken aback and shocked when I saw his view on the show, being that he’s a forefather in unorthodox, unconventional methods of sharing the Gospel,” said “Preachers” star Deitrick Haddon who mentioned T.D.’s MegaFest, films and TV show as ways he’s expanded his ministry.

During a recent sermon, T.D. referred to the Oxygen show, that features Deitrick, Clarence McClendon, Noel Jones, Jay Haizlip, Ron Gibson and Wayne Chaney, as “junk.” The leaders of the church have come under criticism for their somewhat extravagant lifestyles, but T.D. clarified that his congregants’ tithes and offerings don’t wind up in his pocket.

“Not one dime of what you’re sewing right now will buy my suit,” T.D. preached. “I had money when I came to Dallas and I plan to have something when I leave. I don’t need your offering.”

Though Deitrick admitted he was surprised by T.D.’s comments, he said he respects the bishop’s point of view.

“Be that as it may, you won’t get a fight out of me when it comes to Bishop Jakes because I respect him so much. I love his ministry. I love what he’s done. I’m not going to get in a fight with Bishop Jakes,” Deitrick said, adding, “Your opinions do not change facts. If the results are coming in, that’s all that matters.”

Although the show has already received its fair share of criticism after only a few episodes, Deitrick said he thinks it’s also doing its job of sharing his and his co-stars’ testimonies.
“We got the response we expected. You don’t do something so aggressive and so unconventional and bold and don’t expect any negative feedback from it. It’s something that has never been done before,” Deitrick told Atlanta’s Praise 102.5. “We calculated the stir. So, we all felt, at the end of the day, it was a necessary risk. We all felt compelled in our own ways to share our lives with the world. The response is fantastic.”

While he admits that some viewers may have been distracted by the preachers’ apparent wealth and disagreements to initially receive the positive messages the cast is attempting to send, Deitrick is hopeful that the show will become an important part of their ministries.

“Maybe what some people may have missed is the message of hope, humanity and redemption. We’re very deliberate about sharing our testimonies, our failures and how we’ve been able to overcome through Jesus Christ… I repented of my sin and was able to stand up again. You don’t think that connected with anybody out there? There are thousands of people who got that,” he said. “By the end of the season, they’re going to get it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment